Steroetypes


There are all sorts of stereotypes about all sorts of people. By definition a stereotype is a preconceived notion, especially about a person or a group of people.

I don't know about stereotypes but I do know about people.  For instance, I know for a fact that black people like fried chicken. I'm black and I love fried chicken. Is it a stereotype or is it just true? I think fried chicken is delicious.


I know for a fact that most Puerto Ricans eat rice and beans every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner sometimes. They buy rice by the pound. You won't see them buying Rice a Roni. This is not just Puerto Ricans, the majority of Hispanic Cultures have rice and beans as a staple in their diet. Is it a stereotype or is it just true?

In the deep, rural Appalachian country, does not every poor, white man chew tobacco, previously work in a coal mine and live in a trailer, maybe a doublewide? Is it a stereotype or is it just true?

Is it just me or can Asians only tell other Asians ethnicities? I can't tell a Chinese man from a Pilipino man, from a Japanese man, from a North or South Korean, from a Vietnamese or a Cambodian  man. I mean no disrespect, I just can't tell them apart but they can. Is it a stereotype or is it just the truth.

The truth is most negative stereotypes have some truth in them. Just because it's true it doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I love fried chicken and watermelon but so do white people.

Ghetto Bastard: A Memoir (Volume 1) and Ghetto Bastard 2 (Volume 2) by Russell Vann


Comments

Popular Posts